Addingham St MichaelsAddingham St Michaels Contact: Canon Stephen Pye
St Michael’s church is of simple plan with single volume nave, chancel, porch and vestry / organ loft to the north side of the chancel. The church is of particular interest in the evidence of change over time that can be read in the masonry of the external wall surfaces. It is assumed that the church is early C16th incorporating earlier features and with alterations in 1786 and 1898. The priest door and the south window to the chancel are likely to be early features while the twin bow topped windows to the nave are clearly later inserts in openings that have been reduced in height, probably at the time of the C18th alterations. The north and east windows of the chancel and the lower windows to the vestry appear to be C19th copies of the south window. There is clear evidence of the porch roof and blocking of the west door, believed to have been built to replace the north door in 1786 and in turn replaced by the south porch after 1840. The west gable shows substantial settlement of the lower courses on the south side, corrected beneath window cill level suggesting that the church has been substantially re-built, at least at the west end. The pattern of subsidence suggests the possibility of a doorway pre-dating 1786. The west end gable wall also shows evidence of rebuilding above eaves level to achieve the present roof line and double bellcote, probably in the C19th above a much more shallow pitch line. The earlier pitch line suggests a shallow pitched lead roof over a flat ceiling. The present roof and panelled ceiling is of the C19th restoration period.