Culgaith All Saints » Church Directory

Culgaith All Saints

Contact: Canon Stephen Pye
Other Culgaith Cumbria : 01768 881212
Photo of Culgaith All Saints

Biographical Info

Built in 1756 the church retains much of its Georgian character despite the insertion of Gothic Revival pointed arch widows to the east end and the transepts and above the entrance door during the 1896 alterations. Most of the C18th rectangular and pointed arch windows remain. The cruciform plan of the church has presented the builders with a problem of supporting the roof structure over the crossing, a problem resolved by the rather unusual and not entirely comfortable use of columns defining the north and south transepts. Although the box pews have been replaced with more conventional C19th pews evidence of the original pattern of seating can be read in the shadow line of the seating left on the remaining wall panelling. The flat ceiling is plane plastered with a deep quadrant coving at the wall junction and above the column capitals. The unusually deep column plinth stones would have made more sense with the original box pews still in place leaving the column bases visible above the visual obstruction of the boxes

Categories: Church of England