Great Salkeld St CuthbertGreat Salkeld St Cuthbert Contact: Rev Katharine Butterfield
A late C12th church with extensive alterations over several centuries and extensive C19th restoration. The entrance door to the south side of the Nave is very fine example of C12th chevron detailing with richly carved capitals. The doorway is protected by the C18th porch. The tower is of massive construction with vaulted ground floor and iron-bound yett gate with draw bars. The tower is clearly intended for defensive purposes. The walls of the Nave have been raised in the C15th with roof trusses probably of that period. Windows to the Nave are C19th wit the exception of one high level window believed to be C15th. The north and south wall windows to the Chancel appear to be C17th. Restoration work was carried out in 1866 and 1879. Mediaeval grave slabs have been incorporated in the structure, notably as lintels to the tower doorway and a fireplace within the tower.