Ousby St LukeOusby St Luke Contact: Canon Stephen Pye
The external walls clearly incorporate significant elements of early mediaeval walling of cobbles rather than quarried block. It seems likely that both the chancel and the nave have been extended but it is not immediately clear at what period. Extensive rebuilding is understood to have taken place in the late C16th and there was extensive rebuilding in 1858, with inserted Gothic Revival windows replacing all but one of the early windows and with exposed hammer beam style roof over nave and chancel. The one remaining early window, opposite the C19th north porch is clearly itself an insertion in an earlier wall. The vestry and north entrance porch are C19th. The buttresses are not bonded into the walls and are assumed to be C19th although they may be re-builds of earlier buttresses. The south buttress to the chancel arch wall appears to be earlier although repaired. The vestry has been carefully built over and around the buttress without disturbing its structural integrity. Walling masonry generally is of red sandstone built over earlier cobble construction with red sandstone window and door surrounds. Gables are copes with red sandstone. There is a double bellcote above the west end gable wall. The roof is of random and diminishing coursed slate with stone flag eaves courses.