Skirwith St John the EvangelistSkirwith St John the Evangelist Contact: Canon Stephen Pye
Built in 1856 by the firm of Frederick John and Horace Francis the most distinctive feature of the church is the tower to the north west corner with belfry above ringing chamber with castellated parapet and stone spire above the belfry. The base of the tower forms the entrance lobby. The church is classic C19th Gothic Revival style built of red/cream sandstone characteristic of the lower beds of the new red sandstone deposits presenting an unusual and unashamedly variegated surface appearance. Interior architectural detailing is of very high quality in particular the oak screen to the lady chapel in the south aisle, the elaborately carved pulpit and the altar and reredos to the chancel. Stained glass is by Wailes of Newcastle. The provenance of the mediaeval reredos in the Lady Chapel is not identified. The hammer beam roof to the Nave is exposed and there is a timber panelled wagon roof to the chancel.